Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Cure for Bad Handwriting

Dr. Peter Hill
I’m not sure, but I think I’ve found the cure for doctors’ bad handwriting: electronic medical records.

As Chief Medical Information Officer at MedStar Washington Hospital Center, a pulmonologist who first came to here in 1987, I am very pleased to confirm that our MedConnect electronic medical record system offers certain features that are especially welcomed by our nurse and medical tech colleagues. In particular, I would say “Computerized Physician Order Entry,” or CPOE, as we refer to it, is at the top of the welcome list for individuals whose work involves reading physician’s handwriting.

CPOE is a significant MedConnect safety feature. When I give instructions, or “orders,” for a patient to have a specific test done, or to increase his walking by 10 minutes each day, or to get out of bed, the bedside caregiver has clear typed instructions, no “figuring out” or deciphering handwriting is necessary. No time wasted about whether I ordered a CT with or without contrast, or how long the patient should walk, or when the patient should be discharged.

CPOE gives us all peace of mind that we are doing the right, safe thing for our patients.

Peter Hill, MD, Chief Medical Informatics Officer

No comments:

Post a Comment